Skip to content

AOL Desktop Gold

This forum is for you to make product suggestions and provide thoughtful feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and we can use the most popular feedback to make a positive change!

This forum is not monitored for any support-related issues. If you need assistance of any kind, please visit our help site.

Tell us how we can improve your AOL Desktop Gold experience. The more specific your feedback, the more useful for us. While we can’t respond to every suggestion, we review regularly and take them very seriously.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1026 results found

1. Too many steps to the sign on screen. And, the mail window is too small.This whole "experience" is awful. Is anybody listening?

somebody needs to pay attention to all the negative feedback and DO SOMETHING to make us aol users happy again.

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback about the sign on screen.

To adjust the window size of the mailbox, please follow these steps:
    1. Drag one of the four corners of the mailbox window to your desired size and position.
    2. In the top right corner of the AOL Desktop, click “Window” then choose “Save Window Size and Position” from the drop-down menu.

2. Make AOL Gold easy to install... if I'm stuck with it.

Make installation a one click operation with the option clearly available on AOL.com. If I currently go there and load the desktop, I get the old AOL which doesn't run. If I go to mybenefits.aol.com I get stuck in an infinite loop and can't proceed. I don't have these issues with Hotmail or Gmail. Why am I having them with AOL.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. bring back 9.8aol gold has bad mail and bad favorites and is always blacking out

aol gold has very slow reaction in aol mail AND I CANNOT PICK MY ICONS FOR MY FAVORITES AND IT IS SLOW AND IT BLACKS OUT A LOT

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Responded  ·  Product Support responded

The option to add a customised toolbar icon is currently not available.

I have a couple of steps for you to try in order to improve the slowness issue you reported:

1. Clear the Footprints in the new AOL Desktop. Here’s how you clear the Footprints: a. In the top left corner of the AOL Desktop window, click “Edit” then choose “Select Footprints to Clear” from the drop-down menu. b. Select “Clear Footprints” from the Browser Settings. No need to wait for a confirmation message, the Footprints will be cleared immediately.

2. Restart the computer. This helps clear the internal memory (RAM), which often resolves many issues. This article provides the steps to restart the PC: https://help.aol.com/articles/restart-the-computer

3. Enable only the essential startup programs. Multiple programs may have been set to start automatically when a computer is turned on. These programs may cause the computer to slow down,…

4. Small black search screen

For some time, and this morning in particular, I keep getting a small search screen on the middle of the picture. Don't know why or how it happens, but I'm tired of it. Probably more change for the sake of change.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Mail is NOT working -

The Mail is NOT showing the latest mail - its behind 3 to 4 days - AOL as a web service company seems to have become a 'fake' web service company - articles written with no author names and it seems to be more right wing than balanced

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback about the news.

Regarding the mail problem please refresh your mailbox.

Here’s how:

1Click on the Mail option on the top of the desktop screen.
    2.Select Refresh Mailbox from the drop-down menu.

6. We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Try refreshing the mailbox. Click on the Mail option > Refresh Mailbox.

In case you are still encountering issues, please reach out to the AOL Desktop Gold team by calling the number 1-888-265-3733.

7. Dislike

Dislike Gold,
    Windows wont stay maximize. 3 steps to save mail. 3 steps to log in. Along with the several of the other dislikes in this category I searched up, I'm thinking about dropping AOL.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback, will send it over to the AOL Gold desktop team, making sure the features you mentioned become a priority and will be added in the future releases. Currently we don’t have an estimated time frame, but we hope the majority of the features our members are asking for will be implemented soon.

To maximize the windows, please follow these steps:
    1. Drag one of the four corners of the browser, email, mailbox window to your desired size and position.
    2. In the top right corner of the AOL Desktop, click “Window” then choose “Save Window Size and Position” from the drop-down menu.

8. We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In case you are unable to make screenshots inside the AOL Desktop Gold, go to Edit > General Settings> Premium Security > uncheck “Enable Screen Capture Protection”.

If you also have the DataMask installed on your computer, please follow the steps in the “DataMask Settings” section from the following article, to disable screen capture prevention: https://help.aol.com/articles/using-datamask-by-aol

9. Fix the underlined A so I can change font color.

Underlined A to change font color no longer works. Please fix it.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are unable to replicate this issue. Please clear the Footprints in the new AOL Desktop.

Here’s how you clear the Footprints:
    a. In the top left corner of the AOL Desktop window, click “Edit” then choose “Select Footprints to Clear” from the drop-down menu.
    b. Select “Clear Footprints” from the Browser Settings.

No need to wait for a confirmation message, the Footprints will be cleared immediately.

In case the issue persists please close and reopen the software.

10. Let's go back to 9.8.2 so I can send mail to several hundred addresses announcing deaths and sickness and distress of friends.

I am with a fraternal organization and send email to several hundred members announcing deaths or sickness and distress of our members. It was easy on 9.8.2. I can no longer do this with AOL Gold. Let's keep 9.8.2.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I would suggest that you create a group with all the emails that you are sending mass emails to. For that access the Mail tab, then Address Book. Go to Group Options and create a new group. You can easily select from the contact list existing email addresses. If you want to add emails that are not on your contact list please copy and paste them into the “Additional Contacts in Group” field on the bottom right.

11. The Desktop Gold is the worst "upgrade" EVER (see below)

AOL Gold is a disaster! The worst "upgrade" yet! I know you have told us that the "security" is better, but I can't see one single way how that manifests. Actually, there is not one thing in this Desktop Gold that is an improvement over 9.8.2, and in many ways, the software is FAR worse. Here's a detailed list of my complaints:

1. EVERYTHING you do is slower. Every single action taken. Anything you click on takes longer to pop up than ever before. This applies to clicking on a hot link, on a photo, on your mailbox, on any individual…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback, will send it over to the AOL Gold desktop team, making sure the features you mentioned ( block sender directly from the email window, showing all visited websites and reorder favorites) become a priority and will be added in the future releases. Currently, we don’t have an estimated time frame, but we hope the majority of the features our members are asking for will be implemented soon.

To resolve the slowness and performance issues, please try the troubleshooting solutions below:

1. Clear the Footprints in the new AOL Desktop. Here’s how you clear the Footprints: a. In the top left corner of the AOL Desktop window, click “Edit” then choose “Select Footprints to Clear” from the drop-down menu. b. Select “Clear Footprints” from the Browser Settings. No need to wait for a confirmation message, the Footprints will be cleared immediately.

2. Restart the computer. This…

12. Green square on very top bar

there is a green box with an orange design in the top right tool bar. I have no clue as to what it is or what it is for. If I run my mouse over it, it goes away but reappears when the mouse is moved away. I don't know where it came from or what it does.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I think you might be referring to Premium security pop-up in Gold. You can find more info about them here: https: //help.aol.com/articles/aol-desktop-gold-premium-security-features-faqs
    If you want to disable the pop-ups go to Edit > Browser Settings > Premium Security.

13. Scale is much too large for my laptop resolution and no longer able to adjust it down to size!

The new Gold version appears childlike and grossly out of scale for my laptop screen. It is too large to fit into my screen. What happened?
    It is not even possible to reduce the windows (and font sizes) enough to view the bottoms of the pages or software itself.

I cannot reduce the resolution on my laptop more than it is, nor would I want to, since it is set for all other applications on the web and browsers too.

The icons, print and window sizes are huge and the scale of the font does not change with the window.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Pull the release and allow AOL 8.2.2 to be accessed until you work out the bugs

I have enjoyed an AOL Bulk Mail Exemption for the nonprofit PaForestCoalition.org for 17 years. After downloading AOL Gold, I lost over a dozen mailing lists - e-mail addresses of over 2,000 members.

This ranks as the worst rollout ever.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It is possible that some contacts were saved offline in the old AOL Desktop (version 9.8 or lower). Since the option to export the address book from the old AOL Desktop is not available, we recommend opening the Address Book in from the old AOL Desktop (there is no need to sign in, in order to open the Address Book) and after retrieving the missing contacts, to manually add them in AOL Desktop Gold (they will be saved on the server, and can be accessed from different devices).

15. FIND MY 2 YEARS OF MISSING EMAIL!

Fix what is obviously screwed up!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The AOL Desktop Gold requires a Broadband connection, but you can still use your AOL Dial-up through the AOL Dialer and AOL Shield browser. To set up your AOL Dialer and AOL Shield for Dial-up Access, please call us at 1-800-827-6364, and one our tech agents will be able to help.

17. can we toggle on/off the mail folder list link

can we toggle on/off the mail folder list link

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can click on the Hide Folder List on the bottom left side of the mailbox screen, but please keep in mind that settings will not remain saved after you close the software.

18. Missing Favorites

I feel not all my favorites we're transferred.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. "ctrl-f" not working on AOL Gold except in "write mail"

"ctrl-f" not working on AOL Gold except in "write mail"

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Find in Top Window is designed to work only when having a web-page or email opened on the screen. The Find in Top Window option will be grayed out when no web-page or email is opened on the screen (it will not work in the mailbox window).

Please make sure you have the latest AOL Desktop Gold version by clicking the “Help” button on the top, right corner of the window, and selecting " About AOL" from the drop-down menu. In the middle of the “About AOL” window, you’ll see the version you have installed.

If the version is lower than 11.0.1550, keep the AOL Desktop signed in for at least 20 minutes then close and reopen the software. The update should automatically upload.

20. Why did our calendar disappear, I lost all of my important dates over that

bring back our calendar with the reminders option for important dates.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Go to calendar.aol.com and save it in the favorites to find it easily. On the top right corner of the page click the heart-shaped icon and select Add to Favorites from the drop-down menu.

• Don't see your idea?

AOL Desktop Gold

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base