Skip to content

AOL Desktop Gold

This forum is for you to make product suggestions and provide thoughtful feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and we can use the most popular feedback to make a positive change!

This forum is not monitored for any support-related issues. If you need assistance of any kind, please visit our help site.

Tell us how we can improve your AOL Desktop Gold experience. The more specific your feedback, the more useful for us. While we can’t respond to every suggestion, we review regularly and take them very seriously.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

13 results found

1. Every time I send an e-mail to someone it sets up a new e-mail address in my address file

Every time I send an e-mail to someone it sets up a new e-mail address in my address file

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Follow these steps:

1. Open the AOL Desktop Gold and sign in.
    2. Click on the Settings icon from the toolbar.
    3. Select the ‘Mail’ category from the settings window, then the ‘Advanced’ tab.
    4. Uncheck ‘Auto add contacts to my Address Book when I send them mail’.

2. Why do my e-mail addresses keep getting hacked? Over & over?

Why do my e-mail addresses keep getting hacked?
    Over & over! When are you going to fix this problem?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. If I accidentally type an address incorrectly it gets picked up and sits there waiting to be used. And I have, as it is mostly highlighted.

Don't register every address that is being typed, I'd rather make my own decision if I wish to add it or not. Less Mailer Deamons for sure (sp?)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Responded  ·  Product Support responded

Click on Edit → Mail Settings > tap on Advanced tab > uncheck the option " Auto-add contacts to my Address Book when I send them mail" Changes are saved automatically.

4. Mailing labels

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Bring back the ability to print mailing labels.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If the email label you want to print is included in the message header or footer, follow these steps in order to print it:

1. Open the email.
    2. Click on the ‘File’ menu on the top left.
    3. Select ‘Print Preview’.
    4. Check ‘Show headers and footers’ from the top left.
    5. Click on the ‘Print’ button on the top left corner of the Print Preview window.

5. I would like to reach my address book from the Tool Bar,

I want to lookup a person's phone number in my address book. Now, I have to go to Write Mail and then click on Address Book. What used to be a one step process now takes two steps.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1. Go to Edit on the top right, and select General Settings from the drop-down menu.
    2. Click on Toolbar on the top of the Settings window.
    3. Select “Add Favorites to your toolbar”
    4. Type Contacts in the search box.
    5. From the list of shortcuts below, right-click on Contacts and select “Add to Toolbar”.

6. ADDRESS BOOK ISSUES CASE #07683899

Dear Sirs--

I spent EIGHTY TWO minutes on the phone today with your technicians and got NO RESOLUTION.

I am having a problem with my address book and the contact cards. Where the first column used to say SCREEN NAME it now says PRIMARY EMAIL. However; when you go to the contact list it still shows up correctly.

1. When I add new contacts I have to be able to put in their screen name for identification purposts

2. Currently I am unable to send blind copies of emails to groups

I needs this corrected CORRECTLY asap.

Kerry *******

Case # 07683899

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. In order to resolve this issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the AOL Desktop Gold and sign on.
    2. Go to the ‘Mail’ menu and select ‘Address Book’ from the drop-down.
    3. Select the specific address book group from the left side.
    4. Select a contact from the list and click ‘Edit’ at the bottom.
    5. Make sure the ‘Primary E-mail’ field contains the person’s email address.
    In case the ‘Primary E-mail’ field contains the person’s name or username, replace them with their email address.
    6. After all the group contacts have their email address showing in the ‘Primary E-mail’ field, you can add the group to the BCC field and check if they show correctly.

7. Reset spam filter

Is there any way to undo a blocked address? A friend's address mysteriously is being blocked due to no action on my part.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Go to Mail (top of the toolbar) > Block unwanted Mail > delete the email address from the list and click “Save”

8. Copying Address Book

TITLE:

I need to copy a voluminous address book to my desktop. Is this option available? If so, how do I accomplish this? Cris, one of your techs, tried to help me for more than an hour, but to no avail.

Case number: 07435190

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately the AOL Desktop Gold does not have an option to export the Address Book, but you can do this by going to AOL web-mail.

To export your address book from AOL web-mail, go to mail.aol.com from an external browser, and log in, then follow these steps:

1. From your AOL Mail inbox, click Contacts in the left panel.
    2. Above your list of contacts, click More | Export.
    3. Select your file type – If not sure, select CSV.
    4. Click Export.

9. PLS don't show an aol.com address for ALL addresses, many of whom are NOT on aol! this end up sending msg to bad address and has to be resen

PLS don't automatically add an aol.com address to emails to be sent.
    many are not on aol, and this causes mail to be sent to wrong address and returned!!! this only began recently!!!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When typing an email address in the recipient box (To, Cc or Bcc) make sure the address is complete, including @DomainExample.com . In case the domain name is not included in the email address, the username will be treated as an AOL account and @aol.com will automatically be added at the end.

10. FIX ADDRESS BOOK WITHOUT CHANGING MY CATEGORY LISTS

Yesterday I spent another 4+ hours with techs because AOL Gold removed the 98 names I had in a Clovis Class of 1957 category list. They were not able to return the list to what it was before GOLD. Therefore, I had to recreate the list from scratch. As your records will show, I had to do this with an Amputee list of 200-300 names last February or March....this one took me 3 days with tech support to find out I had to recreate it from scratch which took me another two days. I have asked this to be corrected…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Due to recent adjustments to the AOL Mail platform, the option to use special characters for contacts and groups is no longer available. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please use the word “and” instead of the & symbol, and instated of an apostrophe use a space. Thank you.

11. I have never been so frustrated in all my life. Ever since I have had to go onto Gold, I have had nothing but aggravation.

Ever since I have had to change to Gold I have had nothing but aggravation. It is the most frustrating thing I have ever been through. Each time I send my groups their emails, the addresses are deleted from the groups and I have to call a tech to recover the lost contacts. I have already spoken to 38 reps about this. Why should I have to go through this. I have also spent over 100 hours dealing with this situation. This never happened in the 20 years I was on AOL until Gold came along and this started happening…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. In most cases this issue appears when exceeding the maximum limit of contacts per distribution list. To make sure the group does not exceed the maximum limit of 300 contacts, please go to mail.aol.com and sign in, then click on Contacts on the left side and look for the group in question in the list of contacts. The number of Contacts in the group is displayed next to the group name (in the list of contacts).

If the group reached the maximum limit, please create an additional address book group (you can setup 100 groups), where you can add up to 300 more contacts.

Thank you.

12. I kept losing sub-catogories in my address book

My address Book has sub-catogories and I keep losing a sub cat and it also wipes it out in the address book. Tech says it can not be recovered after 7 days. WHY?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have reset your mailbox to refresh the servers associated with your account. Please log out and log back in for the changes to take effect, then check the Address Book.

If the problem persists, please call 1-888-265-3733 to have one of our Technical Support Agents investigate this further.

13. Please return Groups listings to Mail Folder box. They are very hard to find now.

Please return Groups listings to Mail Folder box. They are very hard to find now.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Address Book  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In order to find your Address Book Groups, you will need to click on Mail on the top left and select Address Book from the drop-down menu and check the left side of the window under the Groups category.

• Don't see your idea?

AOL Desktop Gold

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base