Skip to content

AOL Desktop Gold

This forum is for you to make product suggestions and provide thoughtful feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and we can use the most popular feedback to make a positive change!

This forum is not monitored for any support-related issues. If you need assistance of any kind, please visit our help site.

Tell us how we can improve your AOL Desktop Gold experience. The more specific your feedback, the more useful for us. While we can’t respond to every suggestion, we review regularly and take them very seriously.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

113 results found

1. We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I do a search by e-mail address. Way too many people who do not have that e-address appear. What is happening?

Fix AOL so that when I search by e-mail, the e-addresses of other people do not show up.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When using the Quick Find to search your mailbox, you will receive results based on the email address and email subject. To do a refined search, click on Read, select the Search Mail tab from the top of the mailbox, choose “Email Address Only” from the Search drop-down, then search for the email you want.

3. You are changing the mail not for the better why are you printing last names and yesterday?

Bring back the mail the way it was before you are not improving it. I don't like the word yesterday and last names being printed. Why are you touching the email. You need to leave it the way it has always been. Bring back the buddy list and ims better.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can now change the date format, by following the steps below:

1. Open the AOL Desktop Gold and sign on.
    2. Click on the Settings icon on the toolbar.
    3. Select the Mail category from the left hand side.
    4. From the ‘Date Style’ section, select Date Only (old format).

To see the sender’s email address Go to Edit – Mail Settings – select ‘Email Address’ next to View (changes are saved automatically)

4. Sending Email

In all of the previous versions of AOL we have always been able to send email by pressing......Ctrl and Shift. This made sending very easy. It's not a big thing but it would be great if you would return that.......makes sending soooo much easier!! thanks

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Responded  ·  Product Support responded

If you keep the mouse cursor in the To field you can send the email pressing CTRL and Enter.

5. AGAIN MY MAIL HAS DISAPPEARED!!!!

AGAIN MY MAIL HAS DISAPPEARED!!!!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please refresh the mailbox. Click on Mial option > Refresh Mailbox.

If the issue persists please call the AOL Desktop Gold team at 1-888-265-3733 in order to have one of our Technical Support Agents further investigate the problem.

6. My AOL Desktop Gold was not available and I called AOL to fit it. Now they have deleted all my data (folders and emails) since AOL Gold was

All my folders and mails were deleted by the tech when I called in to have my AOL Desktop Gold reinstalled. The old files from the old AOL system are there but everything since AOL Desktop was installed are gone.

I am very upset and all I hear from AOL is sorry, can't do anything for you.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. It’s certainly our expectation and desire that you receive the highest quality service when working with customer support. We’re sad to hear that it sounds like you did not.

Rest assured that we’ve captured your complaint and will make sure your experience is shared with others in an effort to prevent this in the future.

Please call our AOL Desktop Gold team at 1-888-265-3733 if you have any questions. Our team is available 24/7 by phone.

7. Tab Key in Email

I have always been able to use the tab key to indent in an email. Just a few weeks ago, this ability disappeared without warning. Now, pressing the tab key erases everything I've typed and returns the cursor to the upper left corner. Dumb idea!! If you needed to disable the tab key, why not just make it so the key no longer responds instead of erasing things? Either restore the tab functionality, or just don't let it reverse and erase.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. please get the aol desktop gold set as a default email program on my windows PC.

make AOL desktop gold as the default email program on my PC. I can't attach the file. I had to open AOL desktop gold first and attach file there and that is not very convenient. Please

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Difficult to send emails with out using the address book

Can't copy friends address to other new email, (I don't do reply) Only can copy one by one, this is a wasting time, take too long to send an email. Fix it please, do not ignore this issue.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend right-clicking on the email address from the email header (click on the drop-down arrow at the top of the email, if the header is hidden), and selecting ‘Copy’, and after opening a blank email, right-click inside the To, CC, or BCC fields and select ‘Paste’.

10. Deleting email

Allow multiple e-mail deleting with a check box instead of having to click yes for every **** e-mail. Add a column of boxes to check to delete so I can delete 10-20-30 all at on time without having to click yes to do I wish to delete/ If I didnt want to delete I would not choose delete. I am really comsidering switching to another carrier after almost 20 years as a loyal AOL consumer

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In order to disable the prompt, please follow these steps:
    1. Open the AOL Desktop Gold and sign in.
    2. Click on the ‘Mail’ menu on the top left.
    3. Select ‘Mail Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
    4. Uncheck ‘Confirm before deleting items’, and close the window (changes are saved automatically).

To delete multiple emails:

1. In your Mailbox window, press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and then select the emails that you wish to delete.
    2. Click Delete.

To delete multiple consecutive emails:

1. In your Mailbox window click the first email that you wish to delete.
    2. Now, hold the Shift key down, and click the last email in the list. This will select all the emails between the first email and the last email that you have selected.
    3. Click Delete.

11. E-mail Icon Meaning

When mail is displayed in the New mail folder, each e-mail has an icon to the left. According to AOL Help Chat, there is no list of these icons with their meaning.

Can you provide such a list?

For example what do these mean:

An off white back of an envelope
    A light orange envelope with a stamp and a magnifying glass
    A light orange envelope with a oversized stamp and a magnifying glass

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Each type of email in your mailbox can be identified by a specific icon. Here is a list of the most common mailbox icons:

1. White envelope: Known Sender.
    2. White envelope with a floppy disk: Known Sender with an attached file.
    3. White envelope with an oversized stamp: Known Sender with an embedded image.
    4. Orange envelope with a magnifying glass: Unknown Sender.
    5. Orange envelope with a magnifying glass and floppy disk: Unknown Sender with an attached file.
    6. Orange envelope with a magnifying glass and oversized stamp: Unknown Sender with an embedded image.

Mailbox icons with a red check-mark overlay are Read emails, and the red X overlay icons are Deleted emails.

12. untrusted sites

You are now not allowing me to go on sites with the label "This connection is untrusted" and this forces me to use another browser to view these sites. One example site is thedailybeast.com. For awhile you allowed me to bypass the safety warning and proceed to those "untrusted"sites.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mail  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The best way to resolve this is to mark the emails as “Spam”, that way you can train the spam filter to better identify unwanted emails in the future. You can also block specific senders by going to the Mail menu on the top left, and selecting “Block Unwanted Mail” from the drop-down menu, then adding the senders emails address in the Sender Filter’s block list.

14. Spam settings are absolutely garbage. I am getting SPAM sent to me by my own email address explain this AOL?

AOL Spam settings are absolutely garbage. I am getting SPAM sent to me by my own email address, explain this AOL? Your SPAM settings should allow users to manage email addresses as they see fit. What happened to we could easily identify official AOL mail by the colored ICON/ subject line? Now I get Spam from an official looking AOL email address along with my own email address and the Spam controls will not update any new addresses I try to block.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Love the new emojis, but when I send them to people, all they get are triangles!

Love the new emojis, but when I send them to people, all they get are triangles!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Every email client sends emojis as Unicode, a string of letters and numbers that are assigned to a particular emoji graphic. The job of rendering the Unicode is done by the recipient’s email client/application. Sometimes these applications are not up to date, and cannot render the Unicode properly, therefor the emoji will be replaced by a broken graphic icon.

16. email address displays my account name???

Just show user name to recipient when I send a message. Stop attaching my account name to message sent with a user name. When I send email via a new user name I set up for coordinating messages for a group, my personal name shows up along with the New User Name. Why???. if I wanted to send a message with my name on it I wouldn't have set up a separate user name and paid for it???

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In order to remove your display name, follow these steps:
    1. Click on the ‘Mail’ menu on the top left.
    2. Select ‘Mail Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
    3. Erase the name from the ‘Display Name’ field, and close the window (changes are saved automatically).

17. What's Wrong with Email.....Now???

Since the last update, mail is taking extremely long time to open up and half the time if there are graphics they don't even show up.... the opening of mail just drags on!!! what's the problem as it's not only irritating but very time consuming!!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Restarting your computer, modem and any home networking equipment, will help your computer get a better connection.
    Follow the steps below:

1. Shut down your computer.
    2. Unplug the power cord from your cable, DSL, or dial-up modem, and router (if you have one).
    3. Wait 30 seconds.
    4. If you use an external modem, plug the power cord into your cable, DSL, or dial-up modem.
    5. If you have a router, plug the power cord into your router.
    6. Turn on your computer.

If you still encounter issues call us at 1-888-265-3733.

18. Email is not updating

For the past few days my email is not current. I know there are new mails because they come through on my phone. But Desktop Gold on my computer is not updating. I tried the "refresh mail" but this does nothing. It only updates if I completely shut it down and resign in. HELP!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send us a crash report in order for our engineers to look into the issue you are experiencing. To do that, please follow these steps:

1. Open AOL Desktop Gold.
    2. Click on Help on the top right, and select Report a Bug from the drop-down menu.
    3. Type a short description of the problem, and click Send.

For immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-888-265-3733.

19. MORE RE: Backup and Transfer PFC to a different computer

You recently sent me an update re: transferring PFC to another computer using export and import. The text of the message seems clear, however in the linked article, there is still reference to exporting/importing the PFC from a previous version of AOL Desktop.

Which is it?

Does the procedure you've sent now allow for transferring the CURRENT PFC file to a different computer? If so, great. But in my case, with one problem remaining. The then-current PFC on my computer was wiped out (written over) when the AOL tech moved the prior version PFC to my current computer - a…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The article provided in the response you received, contains 3 sections. The first one titled ‘Import and export mail and personal data to another computer’ explains how to use the Import and Export feature, that will allow you to create a back-up (Export) of your current personal data file, and how to Import it.

The second section refers to the ‘Import Wizard’ feature that allows you to import mail from an older version of the AOL Desktop installed on your computer.

The third section explains how to manually import a Personal Filling Cabinet file from an older version of the AOL Desktop.

Regarding the personal data file that was removed from your AOL Desktop Gold, please call our AOL Desktop Gold team at 1-888-265-3733, in order to have one or our Technical Support agents look into possible solutions to resolve this.

Thank you.

20. mail settings

I need to be able to arrange my read/old email in alphabetical order.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In order to sort Old mail alphabetically, click on the Subject or E-mail Address columns above the first email in the list.

• Don't see your idea?

AOL Desktop Gold

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base