AOL Mail

This forum is for you to make product suggestions and provide thoughtful feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and we can use the most popular feedback to make a positive change!

Tell us how we can improve your AOL Mail experience. The more specific your feedback, the more useful for us. While we can’t respond to every suggestion, we review them regularly and take them very seriously.

Please contact our help site if you’re experiencing an issue that prevents you from using Mail as expected.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. opening attachments

I can not open email attachments anymore. I get the following message : {"error":{"code":"EC-4008","requestId":"9c6b8921-03db-a2a1-2f2c-5a0014018600"}} What can I do to solve that issue?

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Attachments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you! The issue was resolved. In case you need help in the future, you can always contact us on Twitter at @AOLSupportHelp, message us on Facebook at AOL Customer Care or in case you do not have a social media account, our support team is available at https://help.aol.com/contact/

Thank you!
    AOL Mail team

2. Unable to access AOL (Verizon) email on two different apps: Postbox and K-9 mail, so it is on YOUR END. Please fix!!

Can't send OR receive Verizon email for 18 hours in either my PC app (Postbox) or my phone app (K-9) mail. This usually goes away in a few hours, but now I am totally shut out. FIX IT PLEASE!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Receiving  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try generating an app password, which can be found at the bottom of the page under “Account Security.” You can navigate there by clicking Options and selecting “Account Info.”

Please let us know if you experience any issues.

Sincerely,
    AOL Product Support

3. SPAM E MAILSHOW DO I STOP THEM

I am getting fed up with all the spam E mails I am getting. I ticked the box which only allowed E mails to be received if they were in my contact list. Today, I have received loads of unwanted spam mails. What do I do to stop this rubbish?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Mail disappeared

I'm pretty sure all my old mail is now in spam. Why? And old mail only goes back a month. I need some of the older ones. Where are they?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can find the list of contact and see available options for your account on https://help.aol.com/contact If you prefer to speak directly to a Customer Care Representative, to get real-time answers to your questions, please call AOL Customer Support team at 1-800-827-6364 Monday – Friday (8 AM – 1 AM ET,) and Saturday  (8 AM – 10 PM ET.)

5. stop asking me to verify the computer I have used for years.... thank you

Please stop asking me to verify the computer I have used for years.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Contacts created as auto group

Is there a way to stop or turn off adding contacts automatically as auto-group. I sometimes receive and respond to an email but don’t need or want to add it to my contacts.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Responded  ·  Product Support responded

Go to mail.aol.com and click on Options> Mail Settings> Compose> Sending. Un-check Automatically add email addresses to Contacts. That should fix the issue.

7. how does AOL protect customers from the dark web

I've been notified twice in a week that my AOL account and password were found on the dark web. How does AOL protect their customers from this? I have had to change my password twice and have not for any other online account I have, just AOL. It's worrisome.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We continuously monitor for suspicious activity, including from government-backed actors. If we strongly suspect your account is being targeted by these actors, we’ll notify you with the following message:

“We believe your AOL account may have been the target of government-backed actors, which means that they could gain access to the information in your account.”

Please learn more by checking this help article: https://help.aol.com/articles/protect-yourself-from-advanced-attackers

8. Did you send out a message stating you were going to deactivate my account?

Received a message in my spam folder that said AOL was going to deactivate my email account. Is this for real or spam?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Receiving  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When you search for any emails how do filter OUT items that are in folders as you allow me to filter based on subject or to/from

I would like to have the option of how do I NOT have emails I have put in folders show up when I search. The only options I have been able to find when I use search is to reduce the list by subject or reduce the list by send to/from

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. After performing a mail search, you can refine the search and look for the results only from certain folders (e.g. Inbox, Sent). To do this, first perform a mail search, then click on the ‘Refine’ button on the top right corner of the mail list, and select the folder for which you want to see the search results.

10. The AOL display is too large for my laptop screen

AOL display became too large for laptop screen upon restarting windows

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please try our 3 troubleshooting solutions:
    1) Refresh your browser window
    2) Clear Browser Cache
    If step 1 does not help, please try clearing your browser history, cookies and cache. In many cases, you can use the following handy shortcuts:
    - Ctrl-Shift-Delete (Windows)
    - Command-Shift-Delete (Mac)
    3) Try a different Browser
    If steps 1 and 2 do not resolve the issue, please try using a different browser — for example, if you are using Firefox, please try Chrome.

12. We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can have one username per AOL account. The ability to add and restore deleted usernames has been removed on November 30, 2017.

Please note that any new usernames will be created as separate accounts and will not linked to your existing AOL account.

13. I GOT A PHONE CALL FROM SOME ONE SAYING THAT SOME ON HAD GOT IN MY AOL ACOUNY.

HI AOL I GOT A CALL THIS MORNING FROM SOME ONE SAYING THAT MY AOL ACCOUNT WAS USE BY SOME ONE ELSE. I COULDNT UNSTAND THE GUY. I DONT KNOW IF THEY WERE FROM AOL OR NOT. I HAVENT BEEN HACK ON AOL BEFORE. WOULD YOU LOOK IN TO IT FOR ME SIGN ******

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Themed backgrounds

What happened to the ability to choose themed backgrounds (i.e. Birthday, Christmas)? I can't find it any more.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Make sure you are using the Standard version of AOL Mail, by going to Options-Standard version.

To make stationery available, please make sure that:

Any ad-blocking program is turned off in your browser (if you use one)

The setting “Always write mail in full pane compose” is selected in Mail – Options – Mail Settings – Compose – Default Compose mode in the Standard version of Webmail.

15. Why are the left side columns COLLAPSED?

The left hand side used to have words rather than syupid symbols describing the various items in email.
    STOP changing things because every time you DO that,. it gets screwed up.
    STICK WITH WHAT WORKS and is more user-friendly.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Each panel is AOL Mail is customizable so you can focus on what’s important to you. Just drag the panel so they’re the perfect size for what you need.

Resize panels:

1. Hover over the line separating the panels.
    2. Click on the arrow that appears.
    3. Drag the arrow so the panel is the size you’d like.

16. language

I work it two languages, English and French. When I choose to send an email in French how do I get AOL to recognise that I am typing in French, insert the appropriate accents, and convert the spellcheck to French?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In case English is your only keyboard input language, you will need to also add French as your keyboard layout. To do that, follow the steps from the following Microsoft support article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027670/windows-10-add-and-switch-input-and-display-language-preferences

The browser you are using to access AOL Mail has the capability to add multiple spell check languages. To add another language to the Firefox spell check follow the steps from the section “Adding dictionaries” from the following article: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker

17. Pls remove the "Do you want to review your spelling mistakes?" from the Send action

Pls remove the "Do you want to review your spelling mistakes?" from the Send action. We never had it before, and we didn't miss it them

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Sending  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To disable the check spelling before sending emails, go to “Options” under your username and click on “Mail Settings”. From the left panel select “Compose”, scroll down to the bottom of the page and from the “Sending” category, check the box “Check spelling before sending messages”

18. delete

You need a command to delete all the e-mails in a folder easily. Trying to click the box on 800+ e-mails to delete them is silly.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Receiving  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you’d like to delete all emails in a folder, please check the box in front of the ’’From’’ column and click Delete.

To delete multiple emails:

1. In your Mailbox window, press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and then select the emails that you wish to delete.

2. Click Delete.

To delete multiple consecutive emails:

1. In your Mailbox window, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard, and then click the first email that you wish to delete.

2. Now, hold the Shift key down, and click the last email in the list. This will select all the emails between the first email and the last email that you have selected.

3. Click Delete.

19. Accessing Verizon Email via Gmail Website

I usually access my Verizon/AOL email via the Gmail website using POP to import email messages. As of 7/29/21, this stopped working. I tried using the new app-specific passwords in AOL email security, but it doesn't work. I get an error message about not being able to leave a copy of the message on the server. I have verified that the "leave message on server" box is unchecked.

Note that this has been working fine for years, but something changed at AOL in the past week or so.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try generating an app password, which can be found at the bottom of the page under “Account Security.” You can navigate there by clicking Options and selecting “Account Info.”

Sincerely,
    AOL Product Support

20. my Verizon emails stopped coming in on 7-12 on Thunderbird an BlueMail on my and android phone. reset pass word and not able recreate accoun

my Verizon emails stopped coming in on 7-12 on Thunderbird an BlueMail on my and android phone. reset pass word and not able recreate accounts new password not recognized when submitted i Thunderbird and BlueMail

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi John,

Sincerely,
    AOL Product Support

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base