How can we improve AOL Mail?

Spam Settings

This a complaint more than an idea for improvement. On 8/24/18 the spam controls for one of my email address has stopped filtering out spam. I add address to the "Block mail from addresses I specify" box but emails from those addresses keep coming. The whole mail controls page for that email address has changed, My other email addresses have remained unchanged. What gives??? This is very inconvenient.

1st ranked
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering Feedback  ·  AdminProduct Support (Admin, AOL) responded  · 

Due to recent adjustments to the AOL Mail platform, the Spam Settings customization, are no longer available for all accounts. We apologize for the inconvenience. In order to block a specific sender, go to Options – Mail Settings – Spam Settings and add the email addresses in the box below “Block Mail from Addresses I Specify”, then click Save Settings at the bottom, and in case you receive unwanted emails in the Inbox, mark them as Spam.

378 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AOL does a pretty good job of blocking spam, but from time to time I get a sudden huge influx of spam...almost like the spam filter stopped working. In the past when this has happened I have contacted AOL and they tell me the error is on their end and they are addressing it...and shortly thereafter it is all fixed. Now they are telling me I have to go in and add each one individually. That is extremely time consuming (unless there is an easier way to do it) and it means I have to open the email, which I don't want to do, to get the address in order to add it. A better way??

Let us block spam from even getting to any part of our AOL Email I DON"T want to even see or have to delete them please

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To AOL: How can I mark emails as spam when each time they are using a different email address? The ones I am getting are of an explicit nature and deeply offends me. Can they not be filtered by Aol in the first place?

• Lynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are pushing anything remotely conservative into the spam folder and you did not use to do that. STOP ALREADY! Believe it or not there are suppose to be two or more parties in this country. The Dems are carzy.

Could you expand on the changes to the Aol mail platform that required such elimination of user spam control over spam email. AOL does a poor job of identifying spam and managing spam that effective controls that were made available to users have been eliminated.

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was migrated to aol from verizon. When I was able to filter using regular expressions I got almost no spam. since this was disabled by aol I get 30 or more more a day just from silveroakgrease@ "something".uk Since I receive no legitimate mail from overseas (*.uk ) was a very effective filter. Thanks aol

The spam controls for email addresses has stopped filtering out spam. I add addresses to the "Block mail from addresses I specify" box but emails from those addresses keep coming.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SilverOakGrease is a known spammer and likely scammer, and should be blocked by AOL. (S)he keeps changing his/her address, usually with "uk" at the end.

• Richard Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im being flooded with SPAM e-mails everyday. They go into my span folder but why all of a sudden Im getting deluged.

Ahhhh..... Yes.... this is a bunch of BS... I am on a actual computer to do this as one of your techs said was necessary (unable to do by phone or tablet EVEN WITH THE AOL APP !
        When I go to your spam filters section I can enter an address I want Filtered but it will not actuate the save settings button to save it into my filters..... ONE MORE ANNOYING THING THAT YOU SAY CAN BE DONE ONLY TO FIND OUT IT IS COMPLETE ******** !!
        TAKING OFF MY PAID ACCOUNT STATUS AFTER 20 YEARS OF SERVICE.
        I am logged in and tried several times to add an address that your spam box filters DOES NOT filter on its own as described in your tutorials. I have put in several hundred and it only increases what is in my inbox now from that sender.
        Get your **** right AOL....

you are allowing adds that partially cover my emails. You should stop this act. I pay enough annually for the service and should not have to put up with this.

Been with AOL for about 25 years. Considered working there in the mid 1990s following a positive job interview experience & job offer.

Today, I am considering switching to gmail because after 2+ months of cleaning out the burgeoning spam folder, with the same obvious spam **** day after day...

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!

I even created filters to move the **** to RECENTLY DELETED. But AOL knows better, and keeps sending it to the SPAM folder anyway, IGNORING USER FILTERS!!?!!

Hey AOL!!! The spam folder is for occasional & questionable emails. The **** you are letting through is UNQUESTIONABLY horrible & dangerous junk that NO ONE should read or see in their spam folder.

Today is a good day to dump AOL.

ADIOS AOL!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very poor change. As you must know, spammers use multiple email addresses, so simply blocking any particular address is pointless. The ability to screen out particular words and phrases is much more useful for blocking spam. AOL continues to grow ever less relevant and more useless.

If you put it in the spam box, then you shouldn't see it again. Its none stop *** emails.

• pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the way you tell people, "In order to block a specific sender, go to Options – Mail Settings – Spam Settings and add the email addresses in the box below “Block Mail from Addresses I Specify”, then click Save Settings at the bottom"
        You are aware that if this actually worked, you wouldn't have all the complaints, right? YOU HAVE NO SPAM FILTERS, PERIOD!!!!! What a bunch of IDIOTS!!!

• pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So AOL, I guess you just collect complaints and do NOTHING, right? Because these complaints date back as far as JULY!!! I can't believe you're still in business. SMH

• Youngun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of these spam emails are coming through with a contacts@... email address. Why can't we get those moved directly into our Trash folder instead of SPAM? I get tired of having to do it manually every day. I'm getting well over 50 a day right now!

Tiered of scanning through a hundred emails in my span folder incase there is one that should be in my email folder

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base