How can we improve AOL Mail?

Need to be able to TURN OFF the SPAM filter. If no addresses are flagged, ALL should be allowed thru!

Need to be able to TURN OFF the spam filter. If no addresses are flagged, ALL should be allowed thru! "Teaching my spam filter" is a truly silly idea, highly impractical!

14th ranked
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gail shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

67 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spam filter is totally inconsistent, useless, and more of a pain than a help.
    We should absolutely have the ability to turn it off.
    Your unresponsiveness to this issue demonstrates why the company has become an anachronism.

• Roy Moskowitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because we no longer have the option of turning off the Spam filter I wind up having to manually mark as not spam or delete emails in my spam filter multiple times a day. When I try to delete the obvious SPAM so I can actually see the non-SPAM email AOL decides to put in my SPAM folder I occasionally accidentally hit delete all instead of delete and I wind up deleting everything in the SPAM folder including email that I wanted to mark as not SPAM. Email deleted from the SPAM folder, unlike the inbox, disappears forever and does not go into the recently deleted or trash folders. AOL Sucks.

Agreeing with other posters. We've been writing for months asking you to address this issue. It's a simple option to allow users to shut off your spam filter. It used to be there. You removed it without telling anyone. I've been given multiple assurances from tech supervisors that the feature would be reinstated after the migration to Oath was completed, which I have to imagine has been done by now. It's not your job to decide what I allow into my inbox, particularly given that you are unable to manage the job properly. Please address this issue.

• Mitch Gilberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request has been "gathering feedback" since October, 2018. That's 6 months, but there's been no response from AOL. AOL, are you listening? Could you at least let us know you've read it?

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spam folder is inconsistent in what it blocks!
    I too have had important email sent to spam.
    I don't need AOL to decide for me. I use MS Outlook and it allows me to decide.
    Allow us to decide if we want our email automatically filtered as spam or not spam!
    We should be able to turn off the spam folder if that is what we choose to do.
    Stop blocking my email!!!

• DJ Friend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing everyone else, please allow us to turn off the spam filter or at least allow us to mark items as "not spam". Both were options in the past.

• Jim Eigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AOL consistently puts into my spam folder mail from addresses I have in my address book! One is an important email that I get daily. I have made that address a VIP in my cell phone email account. I have designated that address a friend. Nothing works! I want to turn off all filter! But it seems impossible! Any hints? --Jim

I have sent several messages already over my email accounts...I have two. quit putting things in spam. I do not use my spam folder for anything, but you have changed your format and some days I have more mail in spam than anywhere else and everyday I keep marking them not spam. leave my mail alone, send everything to my general folder. I will leave you over this issue, I will go through my mail and delete what I don't want and only me. you are causing me to lose good subscriptions by sending things to spam and I can't get them back.

• stuart rubin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

receiving 99% e mails going right to spam. Some which have picture attachments now come distorted. How does one stop this?

• DeDe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let us turn off the generic spam filter. I used to have this capability, but it disappeared. Since the spam filter doesn't work well, I have to go through both my inbox and the spam folder. I would like the ability to decide what goes into spam

• Thomas E. Colclasure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Microsoft Outlook to manage my mail. Therefore, I need ALL of the mail to be downloaded each time. I prefer to block the spam in Outlook. I have NO spam filters set in AOL. However, I still get many emails, some spam and some not, delivered to the AOL spam folder. This requires me to take the extra step of logging in to AOL to check the spam folder there.

Remove spam filter!!!!!!! The current setting causes exponentially more difficulty than any spam I have ever received.

Recently many emails have been repeatedly misclassified as spam. I agree with the need to be able to turn off the automatic spam filter and do the classification manually.

Fully agree. What gives AOL the right to decide what mail I can receive and what is blocked? If I want something blocked I will enter it myself.

I get very few genuine SPAM messages, and your spam filter falsely classifies many valid emails as spam, so I continuously need to log into your website and reclassify these false alarms. I would prefer to disable the spam filter and decide for myself what is or isn't spam. Apparently the ability to choose whether or not spam filtering is done has been removed. THIS IS A BIG MiSTAKE. Please allow us to switch it off.

Like others here, I automatically retrieve ALL my email using Outlook. Recently email that I receive regularly ends up in the spam folder. I don't want to have to use you web email page to check my spam folder for missing emails. Please allow me to disable the spam folder completely. I'll deal with spam on my own. Stop implementing features not everyone wants!

• Ed Jervis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get my AOL mail with The Bat! client on my computer. I want to be able to determine what is spam so that I may make my own filters. It's my mail, not AOL's mail. I totally agree that there should be a way to completely shut off the spam filter.

• Linda Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same problem as others. I accidentally put my emails I had "marked read" in my spam folder due to an update on my phone which changed the way the emails are marked read. Everyday since, the I have marked the same emails "not spam" repeatedly and they are right back in the spam folder the next time I check. These are not irrelevant emails and I would hate to lose some of them permanently. Do fix this.

I continually have to check my spam folder because so many important emails end up there. Give the user control of this function. I can not even figure out what critieria AOL uses to determine what is spam and when I flag it as not spam the next day I will find that same sender flagged as spam again. This is really really really bad and annoying. No spam would be better than this. Urgh

• TL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AOL's spam filter blocks too many legitimate emails. I used to be able to turn off the filter, but no more.
    Please add the option to turn off spam filtering again.
    Having to search through the spam for OK emails is much more annoying than spam itself.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base