How can we improve AOL Mail?

Need to be able to TURN OFF the SPAM filter. If no addresses are flagged, ALL should be allowed thru!

Need to be able to TURN OFF the spam filter. If no addresses are flagged, ALL should be allowed thru! "Teaching my spam filter" is a truly silly idea, highly impractical!

15th ranked
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gail shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ed Jervis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get my AOL mail with The Bat! client on my computer. I want to be able to determine what is spam so that I may make my own filters. It's my mail, not AOL's mail. I totally agree that there should be a way to completely shut off the spam filter.

• Linda Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same problem as others. I accidentally put my emails I had "marked read" in my spam folder due to an update on my phone which changed the way the emails are marked read. Everyday since, the I have marked the same emails "not spam" repeatedly and they are right back in the spam folder the next time I check. These are not irrelevant emails and I would hate to lose some of them permanently. Do fix this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I continually have to check my spam folder because so many important emails end up there. Give the user control of this function. I can not even figure out what critieria AOL uses to determine what is spam and when I flag it as not spam the next day I will find that same sender flagged as spam again. This is really really really bad and annoying. No spam would be better than this. Urgh

• TL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AOL's spam filter blocks too many legitimate emails. I used to be able to turn off the filter, but no more.
        Please add the option to turn off spam filtering again.
        Having to search through the spam for OK emails is much more annoying than spam itself.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have subscribed newsletters that you are blocking. Mail that I want. How can you possibly know what mail I want. There is a spam folder and a block feature for those who get mail they don't want.
        Stop blocking mail that I want

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use a desktop client with our own spam filtering set up there. I want all messages to me, including spam, to come to this client, but AOL seems to "know better" and won't allow that. So I have to log into their client to check the spam folder, that I don't want to have to ever look at. Verizon did its customers no favors when it dropped its own e-mail service and dumped us all into AOL.

• Rick Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Eudora as my mail client and had turned off the AOL spam filtering long ago. I did spam filtering on my own computer. Recently I began to notice that emails were not being delivered to me including ebill notices from credit card companies, my doctor's messages, notices from my home owners association, library notices, etc. My complaints to various sources were answered with "check your spam folder". I just found out that AOL changed their system so spam filtering at their end was enabled and can no longer be turned off. I don't know when this change was made and if they notified me, the notice must have wound up in their spam filter because I didn't receive it. This change has cost me several late fees on credit card bills and other inconveniences. I can't even find out what all I missed because they apparently delete stuff from the spam filter after about 30 days. I don't know what motivated this change but the least they could have done is provide proper notice.

• Mitch Gilberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to note that spam "learning" seems to have improved. I am getting fewer important emails sent to spam. I would also like to note that this is totally irrelevant. Until the blocking software becomes 100% accurate, with no errors ever in the history of ever, I still have to regularly check my spam folder to recover from the mistakes it makes. And, frankly, even if it ever seems to become 100% accurate, I don't imagine I would trust it. Best solution: allow filtering to be turned off, no messages spammed. How hard can this be?

• Martin Cohen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has the AOL legal department determined that AOL has no legal responsibility for damages that I may suffer, because AOL determined that some emails that are important (to me) should be put into a spam folder and that the resultant delay in finding the email resulted in a financial loss? To what extent will AOL take responsibility and make me "whole"?
        Please advise.

It is vital that spam filtering be turned off. Your spam filter sucks, and is blocking important emails. I have to continually check for messages improperly placed in the spam folder where it must be manually moved to the inbox in order for my mail client to retrieve it.

• Mitch Gilberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do I feel like we are being ignored? This simple request was originally made 10/15/18, 3 months ago, with no response from AOL. Hello?

I too agree with the other posters -- not having the ability to turn off AOL's spam filter (which it seems, for me, just happened a few days ago) now makes me go over my spam folder several times a day looking for the emails that AOL has erroneously put there. This sucks.

I agree with all the other posts. You need to go back to allowing me to turn off your spam filter because it is filtering out important emails which are not spam. If you continue to force me to use you spam filter, I will have no choice but to leave AOL.

I agree with all the comments I've read: I can decide for myself what is spam and what is not. I had set up the account (when I was abandoned by Verizon) to allow all mail to come thru. I have been missing important emails in the last 4-6 weeks and it just occurred to me to check AOL for them. You are inconsistent in what you are flagging as spam - emails I get every day come thru sometimes and sometimes you block them. This is ridiculous. I do not want to go thru the trouble of changing my email address but you bad practices are costing me business and money. I cannot understand why you would make such a stupid change to your system but firmly believe it should be reversed immediately. I cannot check 2 places constantly for mail - and often mail needs to be read within minutes of receiving it. I'm running a business, not playing games with illogical mail systems. I am very disgusted and angry about this stupidity.

Your spam filtering is WRONG!!! I am missing important emails because of it. I do not use your online mail portal and do not want to! PLEASE fix this, or let us turn off your spam filter! Ridiculous!

• enzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen to much commercial **** not enough stuff for subscribers !!!

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge problem for those that are REQUIRED to NOT USE AOL online mail. My Dad is blind and has a program that downloads and reads his e-mail to him. If there is an e-mail in his ONLINE spam folder, HE CANNOT KNOW IT IS THERE. Fix it to be able to TURN OFF the SPAM filter all together.

You need to support your users, especially those that were SOLD TO YOU by VERIZON.

• Carolyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of my valid emails are going to the Spam folder.

I have NO emails loaded to the SENDER filter. Please FIX this now.

why have you decided to turn on spam controls on my email...I do not want anything in my spam box. I go through all my email and delete the ones I don't want. you are making it so difficult to clean up my email by putting all this stuff in spam. I will lose good emails because of this. leave your spam filters off of my email!

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please allow me to Turn off your Spam filter. Even if your filter was accurate (which it is not) I would still need to regularly check my spam folder to look for valid emails. Losing the ability to turn off spam filtering means that I simply have to check two inboxes rather than a single one. The ability to simply turn off spam filtering has worked well for me for years - Why have you taken it away? Please return this functionality as soon as possible. Your spam filter is poor and does not seem to "learn" as you suggest it might

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base