How can we improve AOL?

Please stop the auto play news boxes! I stop the videos and as soon as I move to the next item it starts up again! So annoying!

4th ranked
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Gathering Feedback  ·  Product Support responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback about the auto-play videos. As a result, we’ve created an option just for you to turn off this feature in AOL.com.

To do so, please follow the link below and toggle the option on https://www.aol.com/preferences/
*Please note – you will need to be logged in for the feature to work.

39 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I clicked on one of your news headlines, and the next page played 3 videos at the same time. These automatic videos were annoying when there was only one. But 3 at once? I'm ready to cancel my account.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

gid rid of the video that is always running on the home page. It is very annoying.

• Kathleen Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT doesn't work, not only that you can't even find it in preferences on your PC. The videos just keep starting over and over. This is literally it for me, you people have run this into the ground. All you had to do was make a way to disable videos for real, and you couldn't even do that.....

I know you have to have ads, even though I pay for the service. But stop the automatic audio that cannot be shut off, like on the ones for Pandora. They mean that I cannot look at my mail in a quiet place without taking the risk my phone will annoy people and potentially cause me trouble. These annoying alarm clock ads need to go.

I think this is a **** good idea. The companies and the IT invade our privacy enough.

I am paying for my subscriptions to AOL. I have complained in the past about this roll over an add and the **** thing starts playing! Allow me to choose if an ad can play if I have not clicked on the ad.

• Bruce Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I'm signed in and click on the link you provided above (Preferences) or cut 'n' paste it, either way, it doesn't open a new window. The screen is blank or I get the following:

"If a Google search result says no information is available for a page, like this:

"No information is available for this page

It means that the website prevented Google from creating a page description, but didn't actually hide the page from Google."

I've been a member for many years and became a paying customer (Gold), but I'm tired of the ads, especially autoplay in the middle of the screen. From now on, I'll keep my email account, but will access my news and make MSN my home page, instead of AOL. Now, I won't see your ads or autoplays at all.

Bruce

have decided to, except for e mail to stop visiting site until auto play videos are turned off

• dp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

STOP THE AUTO STREAM INCLUDING SOUND ON THE HOME PAGE! I don't need that **** playing if I open the browser and go to get a coffee! I don't need it playing if I am sitting looking at the home page either for that matter. I absolutely avoid your home page now!!! Now my home page is your login page. When I login I go to mail immediately to avoid it. I refuse to keep my computer on mute to counter your home page.

• Barbara Finke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop autoplay on homepage. Even though video auto starts as muted (thank you very much) the movement is still very disconcerting. Also it still autoplays when opt out is selected in preferences so that option does not work, and yes, I am signed in. I repeatedly have to manually stop the autoplay and I do not like being distracted to do that. Please stop autoplay on the homepage.

I have complained about this before and you've given me a solution for a resolution but this is the 3rd time I've had to ask about it because I don't remember where to go to turn the ***** automatic thing off!!! How about you just DON'T have your news feeds automatically be on sound??? If I want to HEAR it instead of READ it I CAN because I'm intelligent. I probably just need to get rid of AOL completely--there is very little that comes to my AOL account anyway.

For AOL to fix again to watch or not to watch a section of the news under the other news. that I was given the choice before on the screen to watch or not to watch that section of the news that runs all by itself without giving me the choice to watch it or not. Some times it runs for 2 and a half minutes all by itself unless I push pause.

IT SEEMS I AM NOT ALONE ON THE VIDEO RUNNING. WHEN WILL YOU GET WITH THE PROGRAM??????

• Patricia Poulin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've written to you about this before. Is it REALLY necessary for your videos to autoplay on the Welcome Page? It's annoying as ****, especially when you're already listening to something else like music!

Can you try to be respectful, especially to those of us who are paying customers?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base