AOL Desktop Gold

This forum is for you to make product suggestions and provide thoughtful feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and we can use the most popular feedback to make a positive change!

This forum is not monitored for any support-related issues. If you need assistance of any kind, please visit our help site.

Tell us how we can improve your AOL Desktop Gold experience. The more specific your feedback, the more useful for us. While we can’t respond to every suggestion, we review regularly and take them very seriously.

Our Feedback Policy has more on the policies that apply to your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please return to the old date format of month/day/year. Thanks

Please return to the old date format of month/day/year. Thanks.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

132 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Product Support responded

The option to change the Date format in your mailbox is now available.

Here are the steps to change the Date format:
    1. Open AOL Desktop Gold and sign in.
    2. Click on the ‘Settings’ icon on the toolbar.
    3. Go to the ‘Mail’ category on the left.
    4. Next to ‘Date Style’ select one of the options below.
    Date Only (Month/Day/Year)
    Show time for mail received today
    5. Changes are saved automatically, so you can close the Settings window.

In case you do not see the ‘Date Style’ option, you will need to update the AOL Desktop Gold to the latest revision. To do that, click on the Help menu on the top, select ‘Check for Updates’, and after 10-15 minutes close and re-open the software.

2. Restore the old spam settings. Now we only have one setting.

First you took away stationery and vast choice of fonts, emojis, etc. Then you changed how mail is set up (from new, old, sent, spam, deleted mail to current style) and the Spam settings from numerous choices to only one (blocked). it seems the longer we continue to PAY for AOL Gold, the less we are getting for our money. I see by the Feedback that I'm far from alone in feeling AOL Gold does not seem "golden" to your PAYING customers.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

170 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. STOP the AOL pop up at sign on wanting me to subscribe to the "Breaking News to my inbox".....NO I DON' WANT TO SUBSCRIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again...STOP the all AOL pop ups at sign on, especially wanting me to subscribe to the "Breaking News to my inbox", like I want all that garbage going to my inbox.....My reply is: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO I don't want to subscribe!

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Welcome  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Product Team wants to ensure the best possible experience, so you should no longer see the “Breaking News” pop up when signing into ADG. We appreciate your patience!

Sincerely,
    AOL Product Support

4. Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  125 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Account payment

I am getting a screen message that I need to give updated account information on billing, or I will not be able to access. I don't respond that way, but when I try to sign on to my account it is down. What's happening?

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. delete all

The delete all button in spam is the first button on right. All other windows have the delete button as the first button on right. This creates confusion. Habitually I hit the furthest right button. However, in spam I delete all msgs accidentally. Is there any help to re-obtain messages once permanently deleted? HELP!

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. why is there no american flag in the custom icons for favorites

american flag in custom icons for favorites why not?

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. larger font for mailbox

Larger font size for the mailbox, listing new mail. It used to be larger before but it seems that after the update and it gives me option to select small, medium and large. Upon selecting large, still its to small of a font size for me. I cant read my email on mail box. Please add XL or XXL font selection.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The option to change the font size in your mailbox is now available.

You can now choose between four font sizes, small, medium, large and extra large. To change the font size, first open your mailbox by clicking on the ‘Read’ button on the top left, then go to ‘Mailbox Options’ on the top right, and select your desired font size from the ‘Text size’ category.

In case you do not see the Text Size option, you will need to update the AOL Desktop Gold to the latest revision. To do that, click on the Help menu on the top, select ‘Check for Updates’, and after 10-15 minutes close and re-open the software.

9. Change back to the old filing system where sent e-mail stored in the on-line mail folders shows the recipient's e-mail address, not sender's

Change back to the old filing system where sent e-mail stored in the on-line mail folders shows the recipient's e-mail address, not sender's

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PLEASE install the drop down menu for "stationery" themes; i.e. for birthdays, holidays etc. when sending emails.

Please reinstall the drop down menu for "stationery" themes; i.e. birthdays, holidays , etc. when preparing emails for special occasions.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Stationery feature is now available in the AOL Desktop Gold.

To customize your email with a stationery, follow these four easy steps:

1. Sign in to AOL Desktop Gold.
    2. Click ‘Write’ in the upper left.
    3. At the top, click the Extras menu (below the subject line) and select Stationery.
    4. Browse or search through the categories on the right and choose one you’d like.

To remove your stationery background, click the Extras menu | select Remove Background.

In case you do not see the Stationery option, you will need to update the AOL Desktop Gold to the latest revision. To do that, click on the Help menu on the top, select ‘Check for Updates’, and after 10-15 minutes close and re-open the software.

11. Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Give us a function to change the toolbar icons as before.

Give us a function to change the toolbar icons as before.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. get chat rooms to work. this is second day they are not working. It doesn't show any chat rooms, created by members, nor can i start one.

get chat rooms to work. this is second day they are not working, they don't show available rooms, nor can i start one...please get this fixed...thank you.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The issue should now be resolved. Please close and re-open the Chat Room Listings window, in order for the chatrooms to load.

14. The space between columns on the mail has changed. I have to make the subject column bigger. Please go back to the old column widths.

The column sizes on mail has changed. I now have to make the subject column wider each time. Please go back to the old way.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Comment#2 - How to read very old emails using AOL GOLD

Per earlier response to my 1st comment, I called Tech Support who told me the provision that I need, is not available. I was told I needed an old computer to read old emails using old AOL 9.8.2 . My old computer crashed. I now have AOL GOLD on a new computer and need to read old emails from old PFC organize files that are backed up on a flash drive. There is no provision to import old emails from old PFC organize files from a flash drive to AOL GOLD. I don't want these old emails converted to AOL…

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The option to import a personal filing cabinet (PFC) file from an older version of the AOL Desktop, into the AOL Desktop Gold, is now available. Before following the steps below, make sure your AOL Desktop Gold is up to date.

Go to the Help menu on the top right, select ‘About AOL‘ from the drop-down menu, and make sure you have the 11.0.2102 Revision. In case you have a lower revision, click ‘Check for Updates’ from the Help menu, and after 15-20 minutes close and reopen the AOL Desktop Gold.

The ‘PFC Import’ feature allows you manually navigate to a PFC file on your computer and import data from that file. To use this new feature follow these steps:

1. Sign in to AOL Desktop Gold.
    2. Click the Settings icon.
    3. While in the General settings, click the ‘My Data’ tab.
    4. Click ‘PFC Import’.
    5.…

16. Restaurant .com offer

Your Restaurant .com offer has not worked for three months. Do you still offer it. If not delete it and discontinue advertising it.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Account  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. You can bring back our ability to change the sounds!

Add this feature back in a future upgrade if you can't do it any other way. But many of us really enjoy putting new or just favorite sounds to our AOL experience. I realize that much of the changes are to better AOL and I have heard many complaints; this doesn't need to be one of them. It will make the changes a little bit easier for some, especially those who don't like change. This is a minor thing that will make many happy.

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The custom greeting sounds are now available with the latest update for the AOL Desktop Gold. To customize your greeting sounds, follow these steps:

1. Open the AOL Desktop Gold and sign on.
    2. Click on the ‘Edit’ menu on the top left.
    3. Select ‘General Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
    4. Go to the ‘Personalization’ category on the left.
    5. Select the ‘Sounds’ tab.

*As an alternative you can go to the Keyword(CTRL+K): sounds.

To choose the sound categories, click on the ‘Options’ button, and after selecting your preferred greetings click on ‘Apply’. You can also preview the sounds before and after applying them, by clicking on the Play button next to the sound name.

If you do not have the custom greeting sounds, it means that you will have to upgrade your AOL Desktop Gold software to the latest revision. To do that, click on the ‘Help’ menu…

18. Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. What happened to the "back to the top" button?

What happened to the "back to the top" button?

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Browser  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Need for Email Dictionary for Users Who Inadvertently Add Misspelled Words, Including Names!

I wrote yesterday requesting that AOL Gold users have their email dictionaries restored so that if users approve a misspelled word, they can go into their dictionaries and delete a word or name mistakenly approved so that it will not be accepted by the AOL spellcheck feature in the future. Today, I know more. If I misspell a proper noun or name and, for example, spell Dr. Yaryura, Yarura without the second "y," AOL Gold will accept the misspelled "Yarura," and I will look anywhere from rude to insulting to stupid because intelligent people in the communications field use their…

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base