Skip to content

AOL Desktop Gold

This forum is for you to make product suggestions and provide thoughtful feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and we can use the most popular feedback to make a positive change!

This forum is not monitored for any support-related issues. If you need assistance of any kind, please visit our help site.

Tell us how we can improve your AOL Desktop Gold experience. The more specific your feedback, the more useful for us. While we can’t respond to every suggestion, we review regularly and take them very seriously.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1033 results found

1. The FILE>OPEN command is not allowing saved 'Favorite Places.fav' files to Open.

The FILE>OPEN command (now included in 11.0.1630, as previously requested), is not allowing the saved Favorite Places.fav files to ‘Open’, as it should, for viewing purposes, etc. (Maybe because “.FAV” is missing from the “Supported Files” list ?) Please fix. Thank you

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately the option to open .fav file types is not available, but you can use this file to replace your current list of favorites, or append it to the list. To do this, open the AOL Desktop Gold and sign in, then open your Favorite Places and click on Manage at the bottom.

2. Please return to the way of forwarding emails by putting parenthesis' around the names so that they are blind to the others. Too complicate

Return to the way it was before in the Old AOL. This is far too complicated, and then you have to go back and take the highlighted names off of your address book after sending a forward. What are you thinking?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To BCC a recipient, click on the BCC button on the end of the CC field (above the subject line) and type the recipient’s email address or the group name you want to send a blind carbon copy email to.

3. Sharing Contacts

I used to be able to share individual or group addresses very easily. Now, I'm told by support that is no longer possible. So someone in my organization that needs to use our mutual group address list, has to retype 100 email addresses into her own address book. That is ridiculous! Why am I paying for AOL when this simple function is not available?!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To share a distribution list with someone else, first open a Write mail window, then type the name of the distribution list in the “To” field, then select it from the drop-down. Next right-click on one of the email addresses in the To field, and select “Copy All”, then you can Paste the list of emails into a new Write mail window, in order to email it to one of your contacts.

4. Stop closing my requests and telling me to adjust resolution. I am ALREADY adjusted for 900x1600!

3 times I posted this and 3 times you closed the posts telling me to adjust my resolution. My resolution is ALREADY set at 900x1600 and that it is what it is in Internet Explorer and all other browsers. But on AOL it is somehow set to 1280 x 720 making everything huge. Again, stop telling me to adjust my resoluion. It is ALREADY set at 900x1600. Further to this, I am not the only one having this problem. My neighbor has the same problem and I have seen many complaints about the setting on AOL making everything appear huge.…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you please right-click on the AOL Desktop Gold icon on your desktop, go to Properties and select the Compatibility tab, then make sure “Run in 640×480 screen resolution” (or any lower resolution) is not checked. If this option is enabled, uncheck it and click on Apply on the bottom right, and restart AOL Desktop Gold.

If you still encounter issues call us at 1-888-265-3733.

5. Can not resize AOL settings boxes

Everything on the AOL interface is so large that I am unable see the bottom of the settings boxes and I get scroll bars all over when I open them. Can not pull the boxes in to make them smaller. They won't move. There are many other functions that I can't change because I can't see the bottom where you have to click APPLY.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. request status bar for email I send showing time status of the outgoing email

request status bar for email I send showing time status of the outgoing email

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. AOL DESKTOP GOLD

I contacted AOL on 2/17 that i just purchased a new HP Windows 10
    computer and a message keeps coming up
    MY AOL SETTINGS ARE OUT-OF - DATE.
    You suggested that I contact AOL Tech. which I did and they
    reinstalled AOL Desktop Gold on 2/18.
    Today I just received 2 messages on Desktop that
    MY AOL SETTINGS ARE OUT-OF - DATE.
    Please correct.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The pop-up you are seeing is from a 3rd party email client on your computer, probably Windows Mail. The reason why it’s asking you to update the settings, is because your account was probably setup using an older/incorrect password, or the incoming/outgoing servers are using the incorrect ports.

In case you are not using Windows Mail, you can delete your email account from this application, by following the steps from the following Microsoft Support article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/delete-an-email-account-from-mail-and-calendar-apps-dba65c49-648d-4d76-9f88-b7bc22a2cc3d

If you do want to use the Windows Mail app, we recommend following the steps from the article above to remove the account, and then re-add it by following the steps here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/set-up-email-in-the-mail-app-for-windows-10-7ff79e8b-439b-4b47-8ff9-3f9a33166c60

Thank you.

8. Your revisions

Why is it that you show a revision since Revision 11-0-1589 but I never received it?? I still have 11-0-1589.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please make sure you have the latest AOL Desktop Gold version by clicking the “Help” button on the top, right corner of the window, and selecting " About AOL" from the drop-down menu. In the middle of the “About AOL” window, you’ll see the version you have installed.

If the version is lower than 11.0.1621, keep the AOL Desktop signed in for at least 20 minutes then close and reopen the software. The update should automatically upload. If the issue persists after updating the AOL Desktop, please let us know.

9. I shouldn't have to pay for less...

The message window always pops up too small. I have to widen it to see messages clearly. It’s fine when I stretch it out, left to right, but I wish it would stay that way (my preference). I have to constantly reset it every time I boot up the window. I should be able to set the column widths and have them stay where I set them, permanently. It’s very annoying to have to reset them each time I go to my mailbox.

The old mailbox version allowed the user to see the sender’s address, and the entire subject, simply…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback, will send it over to the AOL Gold desktop team, making sure the features you mentioned become a priority and will be added in the future releases. Currently, we don’t have an estimated time frame, but we hope the majority of the features our members are asking for will be implemented soon.

To adjust window size, please follow these steps:

1. Drag one of the four corners of the mailbox window to your desired size and position.

2. In the top right corner of the AOL Desktop, click “Window” then choose “Save Window Size and Position” from the drop-down menu.

Please keep in mind that the setting will not work if the window is set on full screen.

10. Please fix my issues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since I have gone to Gold, many of my normal sites can't be opened. I have spoken & chatted many times with no success. I get messages like: ( which I copied here ) Proceed to: elb02.activatemymodem.comu.d (unsafe)
    (Error code: CertCommonNameInvalid)

Certificate error

You asked to connect securely to:api.screenname.aol.com.
    And some others ???????

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Get the email attachments working as before!!!! Same with clearing cache & cookies and NOTIFY us of changes in procedures for things we have

Get the email attachments working as before!!! And the same should be done with clearing cache & cookies. We had a procedure we had used before & it worked. You completely change that & NOT NOTIFY we, the users, as to what procedure we NOW must use. That makes more calls to your IT and very DISGRUNTLED paying users. Now I cannot even find out what version of AOL GOLD I am using, and with the changes (most of them, bad) being made, there must be a numeric description of what version we are using. Either DON"T change what has…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback, will send it over to the AOL Gold desktop team, making sure the features you mentioned become a priority and will be added in the future releases. Currently, we don’t have an estimated time frame, but we hope the majority of the features our members are asking for will be implemented soon.

You can see if you have the latest AOL Desktop Gold version by clicking the “Help” button on the top, right corner of the window, and selecting " About AOL" from the drop-down menu. In the middle of the “About AOL” window, you’ll see the version you have installed.

If the version is lower than 11.0.1589, keep the AOL Desktop signed in for at least 20 minutes then close and reopen the software. The update should automatically upload.

12. AOL Gold. What needs to be changed. What is management thinking?

The new sign in will not hold your sign on and password even though there is a place for it. It's easier to use google chome and its free!! Simply, It takes too long to get an operator on to cancel aol gold. Why would you want to chase away long term customers. it's difficult to attatch documents, and the 9.8 was user friendly. AOL gold was not well thought out. Is anyone from management listening? Please help!
    thank you. I've never seen a product that does not work..........& try to get a credit on it. If this were a…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We apologize for the long hold time you experienced. Your feedback is valuable to us, as we strive to continually improve our user experience.

We are not able to replicate the sign in issue. Make sure you have checked the “Save Password” box.

13. On the old AOL I could click a link once in an email I'd gotten and it would show up properly.

To improve the AOL Gold, allow the user to be able to read links on the first click, as we were able to do on the old AOL. On the AOL Gold, I can click sometimes up to 10 times on a link I want to read, and this action will take me to a black blank screen or a white blank screen and sit there as long as I want to wait. Nothing is displayed. Then I have to go back to the link in the email and click it again, hoping of course to be able to read…

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Try to clear the footprints and try again.

Here’s how :

1. In the top left corner of the AOL Desktop window, click “Edit” then choose “Select Footprints to Clear” from the drop-down menu.

2. Select “Clear Footprints” from the Browser Settings. No need to wait for a confirmation message, the Footprints will be cleared immediately.

If you still have issues call us at 1-888-265-3733.

14. Change smiley faces to the ones you had in the previous version. The ones in Gold are black and white, not fun, and just don't work. Pleas

I have been a long time AOL customer. For 21 years. I was very happy with the previous version. It all worked. Now when a picture arrives, Gold won't let me reduce or resize or do anything with it. Gold took away my signature. Gold has dreadful smiley faces. Black and white, not fun, ugly. Please return to the previous ones or replace with the fun ones I get from senders. ASAP PLEASE!!!

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To answer your question about the email signature in AOL Desktop Gold, please refer to our article on The New AOL Desktop: Using Mail & Browsing the Web, then expand Using Mail in the new AOL Desktop to view our troubleshooting steps: https://help.aol.com/articles/the-new-aol-desktop-using-mail-aim-browsing-the-web

If you encounter any issues call us at 1-888-265-3733.

15. CANT SEND PICTURES IN E MAIL! Gold SUCKS

CAN'T SEND PICTURES IN MAIL gold SUCKS

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To embed pictures in mail, first open a Write mail window, then click on the “Picture” button below the subject box, and select the picture you want to insert in the email. To resize a picture after it was embedded in an email, click on the picture, then drag one of its four corners to adjust its size. Here’s a screenshot of the function for you to reference:http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/f3aad8d20388891bc76f00e9b8d49620/resize+picture.png

16. Change-mail back.

When I go to put in the email address it jumps down to the body of the letter. You cannot make adjustments to the recepients email addresses

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Responded  ·  Product Support responded

Please check “Save password” on the sign in screen if you want to have your credentials saved. (edited)

18. red x button in the aol email is not showing and needs to scroll up . before the red x shows even without scrolling up

red x button in the aol email is not showing and needs to scroll up . before the red x shows even without scrolling up

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To adjust the window sizes, please follow these steps:

1. Drag one of the four corners of the window to your desired size and position.

2. In the top right corner of the AOL Desktop, click “Window” then choose “Save Window Size and Position” from the drop-down menu.

Please note that the option to save the window size and position will not work if the window size is set to full screen.

19. On the old AOL I could highlight email addresses to copy & paste into a new email. Gold does not allow this.

On the old AOL I could highlight email addresses to copy & paste into a new email. Never had this problem with old AOL.
    I would suggest that AOL not introduce any upgrades until all the areas are working properly. This is more than frustrating. Go back to old AOL until issues are resolved.

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can highlight and email address, from the header of the message, by placing the cursor at the end of the address and dragging it to the left (while holding down the left click). Additionally you can click on the email address from the message header and it will be automatically added in the To field of a new blank email.

20. Gold is getting worse and worse.

First you take away the ability to organize the favorites. Now you have removed the User ID's from the sign in screen. And the Add a New User does not work? And when you try and type an email, the address automatically goes into the body of the message. The problems go on and on. What are you doing?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Responded  ·  Product Support responded

Thank you for your post. The product team is not planning to change the alphabetical listing of favorites.

As you might have noticed we changed the login process in AOL Mail, to a more secure 2 step login, which helps prevent your AOL account from being compromised or hacked.

I’d like to have one of our Technical Support agents investigate the email composing issue. Please call our AOL Desktop Gold team at 1-888-265-3733.

• Don't see your idea?

AOL Desktop Gold

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base