Tell us how we can improve your AOL Desktop Gold experience.

Why can't we read a story without having to click "Next" after every sentence?

99% of us would like to read a story without having to click "Next" after every sentence. We don't pay any attention to the gazillion ads you throw at us....which, by the way, cover 2/3 of the screen. I wouldn't click on an ad if you paid me.

1st ranked
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Blow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Story gets off topic to add more pages. Find a less annoying way to advertise or you will probably loose more subscribers. If you cannot provide great service as in the past, just go ahead and close business and find another way to try and make money.

• Ron Bond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also found that frustrating. However I found an answer ! I do not watch any of those stories, I don't open the pages, I close them before they open so I'm not lured in by the tempting headlines, no adds, no frustration !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These ignorant ads you make us see as we try to read a story having to go to 'NEXT PAGE' 'NEXT PAGE' on and on. I have quit attempting to even read this nonsense. How about posting a real story on one page......

Your boredom therapy, cheat sheet and many other sites are terrible. You can get old just trying to read a story because of the constant "next page" method used. You can show 99% of stories on one page but you take 20 to get there. When you marry that up to desktop gold which has never worked properly you must be crazy to pay for this much grief. Maybe the time has come to stop paying a company who NEVER fixes anything it customers tell them about

This is my number 1 most annoying thing. I am even considering just using gmail, google, whatever, and dropping my paid sub to aol. Seriously I pay $20+ to have you inundate me with ads and articles that you have to click, move, etc 15 times to get the story. Seem to me that years ago that was the reason you paid NOT TO GET THE ADS otherwise it was free to use but you got the ads. Its becoming the topic of conversation.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to download as many as 30 pages to read an article. Sometimes the article locks up and I can not even finish it. This is unacceptable to me. I am paying for your service and I should not be inundated with so many advertisements. I am sure that is the reason for the numerous pages, so you can maximize the number of advertisements the customer is exposed to. Please do something about this as I do not have time or band width to download all of these pages.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been With AOL for over 20 years and will discontinue service if you cannot get rid of having to hit NEXT to read a story and also the NEXT button jumps around so you hit on another ad..Very juvenile tactic. . if you cannot tell me how to eliminate these issues i will drop all service in 30 days and bad mouth AOL like I have heard from then on

• Anon E. Mouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>>An Excellent point (along with ALL the others like it)~ that needs to be repeated a 'million' times, until AOL gets the 'POINT'!!!!!

STOP..... with clicking "Next" to read any articles/stories. It gets so frustrating and irritating, I will close it immediately. Also, I feel I get tagged more by spam if I even attempt to look at a story, so now I don't even go to any. It's no way to run a site and for any of us having to pay for a "Gold" Account. My spam folder is exceedingly full, which I have to manually enter and then the so call spam controls don't even work. Something needs to be fixed or go back to the way you originally had it, not catering to the advertisers and spammers. Your customers should be #1. I do have another provider that I don't use, I could easily jump ship. Sincerely, A Long Time Subscriber.

Besides having to click next each time, ads keep popping up that I have closed. So annoying...
        You really need patience to read the articles.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the "next" scenerio...please stop with all the pop-up adds. It is just so difficult to read something news worthy with all the continuous pop-ups. Please, clean it up. I love the fact AOL is attempting to report news highlights...but enough with the ads.

• Bob Goodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You provide many interesting headlines, but we never get to read the story for two reasons. One, which has been mentioned, is having to "click" past the ads which will never be read. Two, we want to read the "news" and NOT read the geologic beginning of each and every story. PLEASE, GIVE US THE STORY FOR THE HEADLINE THAT DRAWS OUR ATTENTION.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE "NEXT" REPORTS ... AS SOON AS i READ THE FIRST PART AND SCROLL DOWN TO "NEXT" i GO OUT OF THE EDITORIAL...NOT WORTH IT... SO, THEREFORE, I ALSO MISS ALL THE ADS THAT HAVE PAID FOR THIS STORY! BET COMPANIES ADVERTISING ON THE EDITORIALS AREN'T AWARE THAT MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT SCROLLING THROUGH 20 OR 30 "NEXT" OPTIONS TO READ YOUR NEWS AND SEE THEIR ADS.

Oh wow! More slideshows! I can't get enough of them! I love reading only a sentence or two on every page.

I love that it takes forever for those two sentences to appear while 40 or 50 click bait ******** ads are already there.

I love how it takes AT LEAST a dozen pages to tell a story that is one or two paragraphs long while being inundated with ads from scammers.

I love how, despite EVERYONE hating on your changes have prompted you to completely ignore them and just giving us all just exactly what we don't want.

I love how you have turned AOL into an incredibly loathsome, malfunctioning, molasses-slow piece of festering, rotting, stench-filled piece of utter garbage!

I just canceled my 23 year long membership with AOL because I love everything you've done SO MUCH!

Just looking at the piece on the ways the shut down hurts us, nine slide with the caption hidden unless clicked rather than having it along the side. Oh, but, there's an ad there! Sure is, but I think there is enough room for both the caption and the ad. I know someone with a brain could see that and think that both of those things could be there. I suppose that is too simple.

Amen. I not only will not click on an ad, I have to move the story up and down because the ads obscure the bulk of the screen. I have gotten to the point that when I click on a teaser (story) and it has a next, I abandon it as a waste of time. You should fire the whole "NEXT" department and save some money. I have been an AOL paying customer for more than 10 years and only stay because of the email address that I do not wish to change. Whenever I go through the "Welcome" screen with all the storyboards, I feel like I have "******" written on my head for everyone to see.

Amen. I not only will not click on an ad, I have to move the story up and down because the ads obscure the bulk of the screen. I have gotten to the point that when I click on a teaser (story) and it has a next, I abandon it as a waste of time. You should fire the whole "NEXT" department and save some money. I have been an AOL paying customer for more than 10 years and only stay because of the email address that I do not wish to change. Whenever I go through the "Welcome" screen with all the storyboards, I feel like I have "******" written on my head for everyone to see.

i WENT THROUGH A DOZEN CLICKS ("NEXT") AND HAD NOT BEEN ABLE TO READ ANYTHING ABOUT THE CORRUPT COPS. IN ADDITION, THE POP UP ADDS BLOCK THE STORY AND REQUIRE MORE CLICKS TO MAKE THE STORY VISIBLE. THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM PAYING FOR. I WANT TO GET MY MONEY'S WORTH OR I WILL QUIT PAYING.

Every news article requires a series of endless clicks to get to the answer of the question posed. Are you making money by getting your click count up with the associated adds? I pay for money each month for this service. I don't think a paid account should have to deal with all these annoying click requirements. The alternative is eventually dropping AOL and being rid of all the annoyances.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My sentiments exactly. I have been a paid subscriber for over 20 years and I can't hardly read the news anymore on the new AOL. After I click on an article and I don't immediately see the picture or the whole article, I move on. I usually get frustrated and go on my phone on my Flipboard news app and read the news without all of the ad distractions and clicking from page to page to read one sentence at a time. Better figure it out soon, or I am bouncing.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base